Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Webcomics and the Fyutcha of Comics


The world of the web is one with little to no rules and the people can really decide what becomes popular and what doesn't. There is no publishers or distributors dictating how or what content is produced. This environment is one that is very freeing and one that I am very greatful exists. As a kid in highschool I was able to produce my own web comic and chuck it on an open site for comics and I managed to actually get people looking at my comic. All I needed was my own energy and for nothing I got my comic online and in front of eyeballs. I think that this is an extremely powerful thing and I see the web/social media become more and more intertwined within the art community. This obviously puts a different set of rules on how people find and consume content and this is leading to an evolution of what an artist needs to do to really get noticed, but I think its for the better. If you have great art, you are much more likely to find an audience today with the internet than you were in the times of Winsor McCay. 

This is penetrating the games as well where AAA studios are shitting the bed year after year losing money and support from fans and indie studios are dropping hits from out of nowhere and changing the definition of games. Very exciting time to be alive for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment